- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced (~1/2 cup)
- 4 oz sour cream (~1/2 cup)
- 8 oz Cheddar cheese shredded (~1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper diced
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 whole green chilies chopped, if desired
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 15 oz tomato sauce canned
- 12 corn tortillas
- shredded cheese
- green onions sliced
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Saute onions in medium skillet. Add ground beef and brown; drain. Stir in sour cream, cheese, parsley and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- Saute bell pepper in medium pot. Add water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, chilies, garlic and tomato sauce to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides. Use 6 tortillas to cover bottom of baking dish. Layer 1/2 of the meat mixture, 1/2 of the sauce, a sprinkle of shredded cheese and green onions. Cover with remaining 6 tortillas, dipped in sauce, and remaining meat, sauce, sprinkle of cheese and green onions.
- Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Garnish with sour cream.
You can also choose to stuff each tortilla with meat mixture and roll before putting in casserole dish. Cover with remaining sauce. I prefer casserole style because it doesn't take as much time to prepare.