- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced (~1/2 cup)
- 4 oz sour cream (~1/2 cup)
- 8 oz Cheddar cheese shredded (~1 cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper diced
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 whole green chilies chopped, if desired
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 15 oz tomato sauce canned
- shredded cheese
- green onions sliced
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
Make Meat Mixture
- Saute onions in medium skillet.
- Add ground beef and brown; drain.
- Stir in sour cream, cheese, parsley and pepper.
- Cover and set aside.
Pre-fry corn tortillas
- In a frying pan, put enough oil to cover the bottom about a 1/4 of inch thick.
- Briefly fry each corn tortilla about 20 seconds a side, or until softened.
- Drain on paper towels and let cool.
- Saute bell pepper in medium pot.
- Add water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, chilies, garlic and tomato sauce to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
Assemble and Bake
- Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides.
- Use 6 tortillas to cover bottom of baking dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the meat mixture, 1/2 of the sauce, a sprinkle of shredded cheese and green onions.
- Cover with remaining 6 tortillas, dipped in sauce, and remaining meat, sauce, sprinkle of cheese and green onions.
- Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Let casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with salsa.