The other night, I realized that I was out of cream of mushroom soup when I needed a can to prepare our steak stroganoff. I searched and searched and compiled a few recipes to come up with a substitute version that could be modified to make any type of cream soup. It took only a short moment to whip up a enough for one can of soup and there was little difference in the end result, excluding that I had no mushrooms so it ended up being a cream of beef type soup.
Cream Soup Base
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or beef
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp minced onion dried
- 1/8 tsp basil
- 1/16 tsp thyme
- 1/16 tsp pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour; keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
- Return to heat.
- Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.