Here is a basic recipe for Native American Fry Bread. It is very simple to make and is tasty on it’s own, with honey, or served with meat and beans like an Navajo Taco.
Native American Fry Bread
The perfect flat bread. Add savory toppings for Navajo tacos or sweet toppings for a yummy dessert.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add warm water while mixing.
- Knead dough until smooth and then make dough into fist-sized balls. Make sure you don’t over knead the dough.
- Cover dough balls with a towel for 10 minutes then pat them into circles about the size of a pancake. Push your finger through the center of each one creating a small hole.
- Fry in hot oil (hotter the better) until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
2 replies on “Native American Fry Bread”
Thanks Tim and Angi for this recipe… I plan to use it tonight to make Indian Tacos =)
That looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by The Zoo!