Red Hot Southern Sweet Potatoes
Yesterday, I told you about our non-turkey Thanksgiving dinner plans and promised to share a recipe for some fantastic sweet potatoes. We serve this almost every time we serve glazed ham. It’s a perfect combination!
- 3 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes (peeled & cubed)
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1/4 cups red cinnamon candies
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) package miniature marshmallows (optional)
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan w/enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil & cook over med heat till tender (about 25 min).
- Drain of all water & place in a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a med bowl, stir together the butter, brown sugar, red hot candies & water.
- Pour over the sweet potatoes in the dish.
- Bake for 1 hr till sweet potatoes are soft & the candies are melted.
- After this, you may top w/marshmallows (if desired) & return the dish to the oven for 10 min to toast them.
Freezer friendly: After pouring the red hot mixture over the sweet potatoes, cover and place casserole in freezer. When ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator before continuing directions.