Yesterday, I told you about our non-turkey Thanksgiving dinner plans and promised to share a recipe for some fantastic sweet potatoes. We serve this almost every time we serve glazed ham. It’s a perfect combination!
Red Hot Southern Sweet Potatoes
- 3 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled & cubed
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 1/4 cups red cinnamon candies
- 3/4 cup water
- 10 oz miniature marshmallows
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan w/enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil & cook over med heat till tender (about 25 min).
- Drain of all water & place in a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a med bowl, stir together the butter, brown sugar, red hot candies & water.
- Pour over the sweet potatoes in the dish.
- Bake for 1 hr till sweet potatoes are soft & the candies are melted.
- After this, you may top w/marshmallows (if desired) & return the dish to the oven for 10 min to toast them.