My all time favorite chef has got to be Alton Brown, hands down. I love watching Good Eats and own a handful of his books. Whenever our family wants homemade mac and cheese, this is our go-to recipe.
It is fantastic and can be a base for any mac and cheese you want. Stir in any combination of meats and veggies to make this a complete meal. Or set up a build your own mac and cheese buffet with lots of meat and veggie choices. This is perfect for those picky eaters because every bowl is custom tailored to the eater’s favorite items.
Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese
- 8 ounces pasta elbow, shells, or another favorite
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 eggs raw
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt kosher
- black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain.8 ounces pasta
- Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.4 tablespoons butter
- In medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Slowly stir milk mixture into the pasta.2 eggs, 6 ounces evaporated milk, 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Add the cheese. Stir to incorporate.10 ounces cheddar cheese
- Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until cheese melts and the sauce is creamy.