#AtoZChallenge – Upside Down Cake
This month we’ve taken on a challenge – one that involves blogging through the alphabet. Did you miss a letter? Catch up now.
Upside down cakes are as much fun to make as they are to eat. Our favorite is pineapple upside down cake.
|Pineapple Upside Down Cake|
Recipe Type: Dessert
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 1 jar (6 oz) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 1 box Duncan Hines French Vanilla cake mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs called for the cake mix
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). In 13×9-inch pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange pineapple slices on brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice, and arrange remaining cherries around slices; press gently into brown sugar.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup. Make cake batter as directed on box, substituting pineapple juice mixture for the water. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 42 to 48 minutes (44 to 53 minutes for dark or nonstick pan) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately run knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Place heatproof serving plate upside down onto pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake 5 minutes so brown sugar topping can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm or cool. Store covered in refrigerator.
Image by Jeff Golden via Flickr