Sour Cream and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
- 12 corn tortillas
- frying oil
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- green onions sliced
- 3 chicken breasts boneless skinless, frozen
- 1 1/2 tbsp chile powder New Mexico hot, or to taste
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/8 Italian seasoning
- 21 oz cream of chicken soup 2 small cans or 1 large can
- 8 oz sour cream
- 4 oz green chili
- Preheat oven to 350*.
Make chicken for shredding
- Place chicken and enough water to cover chicken in a stock pot. Add remaining items from ‘Shredded Chicken’ ingredient list to the water.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for 3 hours or until a fork stuck in the middle of a breast turns easily.
- Remove chicken to a medium mixing bowl. Once cool to the touch, shred chicken using a fork.
Pre-fry corn tortillas
- In a frying pan, put enough oil to cover the bottom about a 1/4 of inch thick.
- Briefly fry each corn tortilla about 20 seconds a side, or until softened. Drain on paper towels and let cool.
- In medium saucepan, add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and green chili. Stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warm. Remove from heat.
- Dip each tortilla in the cream sauce. Use 6 tortillas to cover the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Top with half of each item: chicken, cream sauce, cheese, and green onions.
- Dip the remaining 6 tortillas in cream sauce to create the top layer. Top with remaining chicken, cream sauce, cheese, and green onions.
- Place in oven to melt the cheese and warm all the ingredients for about 30 minutes.