I’ve been craving one of my favorite meals from Lucky Wishbone, a local fast food chain in my hometown, so I searched for steak finger recipes and found this gem. I served these along with coleslaw and fries. I would bet this method could also be used for chicken strips or nuggets.
- 1.5 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak cut into strips
- 3 cups canola oil for deep frying
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning such as McCormick Montreal Steak
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Beat together the egg, buttermilk, grill seasoning, and 1/2 cup of flour in a large bowl until smooth. Add the beef, and toss until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator to marinate at least 2 hours.
- Sift 2 1/2 cups flour with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper into a large bowl. Remove steak strips from buttermilk batter and allow excess to drip off. Dredge each piece with seasoned flour and place onto a baking sheet. Place in the freezer and freeze until firm, 1 hour to overnight.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C) in a deep fryer or cast iron skillet.
- Drop a few frozen steak pieces into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on the outside, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the frying oil, and do not allow the steak strips to thaw before they are fried. Once golden brown, remove to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.