I've been craving one of my favorite meals from Lucky Wishbone, a local fast food chain in my hometown, so I searched for steak finger recipes and found this gem. I served these along with coleslaw and fries. I would bet this method could also be used for chicken strips or nuggets.
- 1.5 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak cut into strips
- 3 cups canola oil for deep frying
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning such as McCormick Montreal Steak
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Beat together the egg, buttermilk, grill seasoning, and 1/2 cup of flour in a large bowl until smooth. Add the beef, and toss until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator to marinate at least 2 hours.
- Sift 2 1/2 cups flour with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper into a large bowl. Remove steak strips from buttermilk batter and allow excess to drip off. Dredge each piece with seasoned flour and place onto a baking sheet. Place in the freezer and freeze until firm, 1 hour to overnight.
- Heat oil to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C) in a deep fryer or cast iron skillet.
- Drop a few frozen steak pieces into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on the outside, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the frying oil, and do not allow the steak strips to thaw before they are fried. Once golden brown, remove to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
It takes a small amount of extra time to double or triple this recipe and store uncooked in the freezer for later use.
9 replies on “Steak Fingers – A Taste of Home”
[…] Steak fingers, coleslaw, fries […]
Lived in Tucson AZ for over 20 years, but moved back to Oklahoma where I’m from. I MISS those steak fingers and the shrimp too. Wouldn’t happen to have their recipe for the cocktail sauce. It’s not just plain cocktail sauce. Also, is the batter and method the same for the shrimp? I’ve gone so far as seriously thinking about having my daughter, who still lives in Tucson, overnight me some of the steak fingers. I know, stupid. But I miss them so much. I’m going to try this recipe. THANKS!
I have missed Lucky Wishbone more than almost all Tucson local restaurants. This is without a doubt the closest steak finger recipe I have tried. Thanks.
I miss Lucky Wishbone!! Egees too…. now I’m home sick!!
I will try this, I have been wanting some steak fingers and have given up on finding a decent replacement.
[…] 3/16 (D) Steak fingers (new recipe), coleslaw, fries (L) […]
[…] Steak fingers with double fried french fries […]
[…] Steak Fingers, barbecue beans, and tomato, cucumber and red onion salad. […]
this looks great – and a plan ahead thing I can actually pull off!
We love steak fingers and your recipe looks great. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to my Full Plate Thursday. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!