#AtoZChallenge – Kalua Pig
This is such a simple yet mouth watering dish. This has become a favorite for us. It is great served with lumpia and pancit. You may not have Hawaiian Salt but that can be picked up easy enough at amazon.com. Oriental and Filipino grocery stores should carry the banana leaves but if you don’t have any near you the leaves can be replaced with bananas.
- 4-5 pound pork butt
- 2½ tablespoons Hawaiian salt (substitute kosher salt)
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 banana leaf (substitute 4-5 whole, unpeeled bananas)
- 4-6 ti leaves (substitute aluminum foil)
- Make several shallow long cuts along the roast or pierce liberally with a fork. (This allows the salt and liquid smoke to penetrate the meat.)
- Rub with salt and liquid smoke.
- Wrap the roast with banana leaf or, place whole bananas on top of meat.
- Cut the ribs from the ti leaves and wrap over the banana leaf. Tie securely with twine.
- Roast in a 325-350 degree oven for about 45 minutes per pound.
- When meat is done, remove ti leaves, banana leaf (or bananas) and shred pork.