- 1 lb pinto beans raw
- 8 cups water more if you don’t have a pressure cooker
- 4 tsp oil if your pressure cooker calls for it
- 1 tbsp lard
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 cup milk more or less depending on how thin/thick you like your beans
- Cook beans in pressure cooker as directed. For ours, we put beans, water and oil in the pot and set the timer for 30 minutes on high with natural pressure release.
- Drain beans.
- In a large pan, melt the lard over medium heat.
- Place beans in skillet.
- Mash with potato masher.
- Stir in salt and chili powder.
- Add a spoonful of salsa and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- Use the liquid from the salsa to thin out the beans to your liking.
This month we’ve taken on a challenge – one that involves blogging through the alphabet. #AtoZChallenge