This month we’ve taken on a challenge – one that involves blogging through the alphabet. Did you miss a letter? Catch up now.
Refried beans are the perfect side dish to any of our Mexican recipes. And they are super simple to make from scratch. The hardest part is getting the beans cooked because they take so long on the stove.
Once you make these from scratch, you’ll never buy the canned ones again!
- 1 lb pinto beans raw
- 8 cups water more if you don't have a pressure cooker
- 4 tsp oil if your pressure cooker calls for it
- 2 tbsp lard
- cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder optional
- Cook beans in pressure cooker as directed. For ours, we put beans, water and oil in the pot and set the timer for 30 minutes on high with natural pressure release.
- Drain beans.
- In a large pan, melt the lard over medium heat.
- Place beans in skillet.
- Mash with potato masher
- Stir in salt and chili powder.
- Add a spoonful of salsa and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Stir to combine.
- Use the liquid from the salsa to thin out the beans to your liking.