Better Than Panda Express Orange Chicken
Wow. It seems like it’s been forever since I posted a recipe so I dug through my recipe binder and grabbed some of our favorites. I asked some friends of mine which I should post next and overwhelming they picked orange chicken. Here’s our version of Panda Express’ orange chicken. We think it’s better than Panda Express’ version but you be the judge.
But don’t run away because after the recipe you’ll have a chance to win some great prizes. Entering is simple; just leave a comment. You were going to do that anyway, right?
- 2 lbs boneless-skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” cubes)
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped (green, yellow, red – your choice)
- 1 tbsp rice cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water, plus
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar, plus
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Heat frying oil to 375*.
- In shallow dish, combine buttermilk, salt, pepper, and oil. Add chicken cubes.
- In another shallow dish, combine cornstarch and flour.
- Take chicken from wet mixture, dredge through dry mixture and place in fryer. Do not overcrowd fryer.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden crisp.
- Remove from fryer and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add garlic and onions and fry until translucent.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add cooked chicken to the sauce, stirring until well mixed.
- Serve over steamed rice.
This giveaway is sponsored by a handful of bloggers in one of my fantastic blogging support groups. Here’s a little blurb about each of them and the prize they are offering. A winner will be selected for each prize so if there’s something you don’t want to win, let us know in your comment.
This post was shared on Menu Plan Monday and Foodie Friday.